The Insurance Regulation Practice Group
The Insurance Regulation Practice Group represents insurers, health maintenance organizations, dental plan organizations and nonprofit health service plans before the Maryland Insurance Administration and other state insurance departments. Led by Ren L. Tundermann, former Assistant Attorney General and counsel to the Maryland Insurance Commissioner, the Group has a wealth of experience to bring to insurance regulation matters. Funk & Bolton's regulatory professionals have extensive experience in representing insurance companies in state regulatory matters, including:
- Financial and Market Conduct Examinations - We are experienced in negotiating and resolving issues on the contents of financial and market conduct reports, compliance with financial and market conduct laws, consent agreements and market conduct fines.
- Company Licensing - We are experienced in filing the Uniform Certificate of Authority Application, both primary and expansion, necessary for acquiring a certificate of authority in Maryland and other states.
- Transactions - We have represented insurance companies in a variety of transactional matters, including reinsurance arrangements, mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations. We have extensive experience preparing and securing approval on all of the holding company system forms required by state law.
- Complaints - We have broad experience in negotiating and resolving policyholder complaints and representing companies in administrative hearings on policyholder complaints.
- Regulatory Litigation - We are experienced in defending companies against enforcement actions brought by the Maryland Insurance Administration and other regulatory bodies.
- Product and Forms Filings - We draft policy forms and riders, complete filings and necessary certifications, negotiate and resolve issues and secure product approvals for a variety of insurance products.
- Advice and Counsel - We provide advice and counsel on a variety of insurance regulatory and compliance matters to many insurance companies, foreign and domestic, and we serve as outside general counsel to several Maryland-based insurers.
Ren L. Tundermann
Derek B. Yarmis
James F. Taylor
Donald B. Davis, Jr.
Scott R. Jamison
Kimberly Y. Robinson
Mary T. Porter
Stephen P. Carney
Fred Santiago, Regulatory Affairs Analyst
Sarah Sheppard, Legislative Analyst